Super Thick English Muffins
- 7 g instant yeast
- 170 ml cold milk
- 15 g sugar
- 6 g salt
- 300 g bread flour
- 20 g butter
- mixture of 50% flour 50% polenta for dusting (about 1/2 cup or 125 ml)
- In a bowl, combine cold milk with yeast and stir.
- Add in the sugar and salt and stir again. Crack in one large egg and combine.
- Roughly mix in bread flour until dough is shaggy but workable then transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and stretchy but still slightly tacky.
- Transfer the dough into a buttered bowl, cover and set aside until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled, use a mixture of 50% polenta and 50% flour to lightly flour your work surface. Then tip out your dough.
- Make sure the dough is well floured then use a floured cutter to cut out round english muffins. Transfer the rounds to sheet pan coated with polenta, then sprinkle the tops of the muffins with more polenta.
- Set the muffins aside for another 20 minutes. Once the muffins have risen, place a heavy bottom pan on low heat and cook the muffins for about five minutes each side.