Red Wine Poached Pears
- 6-8 pears
- 1 bottle red wine
- 300 g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 cloves
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar
- Add wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, orange zest and juice to a pot. Peel your pears then use a small scoop to remove the core from the base of the pear.
- Place peeled pears in poaching liquid and poach on low until soft and vibrantly red. About 30-45 minutes.
- Press the pears down into the poaching liquid with parchment and place in the fridge to cool.
- To make the creme anglaise get your milk, cream and vanilla in a pot and bring to a boil. In a separate bowl whisk together yolks, sugar then slowly temper in the milk. Pour the milk into the eggs in a slow stream while continuously whisking, this prevents the yolks from scrambling.
- Add the tempered mixture back into the pot then heat on low, stirring constantly to stop it from catching on the bottom until anglaise reaches 180 F or 82 C. Strain the anglaise through a sieve then cool.
- Serve the pears on top of the anglaise once everything has chilled down. You can keep the poaching liquid and reduce it to create a nice syrup to go with this as well.